My man needed a little cheering up, so I made these chewy coconut cookies last night, with a few “healthy” modifications (as per usual). They turned out delicious… so good, I downed four last night (maybe even five), and three more today. They certainly aren’t going to be around for long!
My version used the following substitutions:
- 1/2 cup of quinoa flour, 1/2 cup of amaranth flour and 1/4 cup spelt flour instead of 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil instead of butter (I read somewhere that when you do this, it should be solidified coconut oil. I only had the melted sort, so I used that, and it was fine)
- 2/3 cup of agave nectar instead of 1/2 cup of brown sugar + 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 chia egg (1/4 cup of water + 1 tbspn ground chia seed) instead of egg
- 1 1/3 cup organic, unsweetened coconut flakes (or at least, this is what I would have used had we had any – I’m pretty sure the stuff we have is sweetened, because woohey, these cookies are sweet! but delicious! then again, that could be the agave… I don’t really know)
Once the dough was portioned out on a baking sheet, I added a sprinkle of raw, unsweetened cocoa powder (using a small tea seive is a great way to accomplish a dusting over the top of the cookie) and a dash of nutmeg on each. I also decided to add a teaspoon’s worth of Crofter’s Superfruit Organic Spread with Wild Blueberries, Cranberries, Morello Cherries & Red Grapes (it’s the blue one on their site there) to the tops of some of the cookies. I love the way they turned out – the jam, spice and cocoa worked so well together with the soft chewy sweetness of the cookie.
The cooking instructions are the same. I think we left them in there for 13 minutes in total, rather than the 8-10 minutes, but that depends more on your stove than anything else. There probably is extra moisture than the original recipe would have, so that makes sense to leave it in a bit longer. Whatever you do, keep an eye on them so you make sure they’re not overcooked.
One thought on “Chewy coconut cookies”
Arty design ! Even look- delicious! ):